If you ask anyone that isn’t Spanish to name one of Spain’s national dishes, most people will tell you paella. In fact, if you’re Spanish, paella is not a national dish, just simply a dish from one area – Valencia. Originating in Valencia, paella is a rice dish made with white rice, saffron, olive oil and a mix of other ingredients. Inexpensive to make, it’s tasty too.
If you’re looking for an easy paella recipe, try this one before you try any other. It doesn’t take long to prepare and, believe me, it’s delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 sliced onion
3 small chorizo sausages
1/4 teaspoon of saffron or some saffron strands
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 cups of white rice
1 liter of chicken stock
1 cup of frozen peas
8 king prawns, 8 mussels, and 200 grammes of shrimp
1. Chop garlic and onion and saute in a large frying pan, or paella pan, with the olive oil.
2. Chop tomatoes and add to the garlic. Also add frozen peas and the chorizo sausage. Stir over a medium flame for about 3 minutes.
3. Pour in the liter of chicken stock and add the rice. Sprinkle the saffron and salt over it and stir. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add the prawns, shrimp and mussels, cover the pan with a lid and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
5. Garnish the paella with lemon slices and serve.
And, don’t miss this video of an absolutely gigantic paella being cooked – looks delicious too.